Monday 28 August 2017

#348: Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960

Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960
November 15, 1960, Chess

1. "I Got My Brand on You" - 4:24
2. "I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man" - 2:50
3. "Baby, Please Don't Go" - 2:52
4. "Soon Forgotten" - 4:08
5. "Tiger in Your Tank" - 4:12
6. "I Feel So Good" - 2:48
7. "Got My Mojo Working" - 4:08
8. "Got My Mojo Working, Part 2" - 2:38
9. "Goodbye Newport Blues" - 4:38

RESULTS
Rate: 8/10
Best Song: Goodbye Newport Blues
Worst Song: Tiger in Your Tank

Comments
Two things I've always felt I had a closed-off perception of are Blues, and Live Albums.

I generally dislike Live Albums. I think that the crowd blocks out the quality of the music, the band is achieving a different sound than what they want their audience to be used to, and it's a cheap, fast way to make money off of both the concert, and the concert album. It completely ruins the feeling of exclusivity to the people who attended the concert.

As for Blues, I do like Blues, I just feel like it drains itself out after awhile, much like a sponge. A few songs are fine, but a whole album can end up sounding disorganized, and reused.

So, I decided it would be best if I opened my mind to the idea of both. And you know what? I actually greatly enjoyed it. The Blues were tight, yet fun. The sound had a hard-hitting feel, while still managing to have an energetic rhythm to it. I would find myself tapping my foot to songs I've never heard of, and it generally made me want to listen to it a second time.

Also, this Album influenced Rolling Stones, Hendrix, AC/DC, and Zeppelin, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment