Tuesday 24 June 2014

#408: Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
March 1990, Chrysalis

1. "Feel So Different" - 6:47
2. "I Am Stretched on Your Grave" (Originally by Philip King) - 5:33
3. "Three Babies" - 4:47
4. "The Emperor's New Clothes" - 5:16
5. "Black Boys on Mopeds" - 3:53
6. "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Originally by Prince) - 5:10
7. "Jump in the River" - 4:12
8. "You Cause as Much Sorrow" - 5:04
9. "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance" - 4:40
10. "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" - 5:47

RESULTS
Rate: 7/10
Best Song: Nothing Compares 2 U
Worst Song: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

Comments
O'Connor's "Controversies" I've found more irritating than revolutionary. She's courageous about what she does, but she makes a way bigger scene about it than she actually needs to.
Personally, I find her irritating. However, she is incredibly talented.
She tends to lean towards a more Acapella tone in this Album, with softened instrumentals, and belted out lyrics that rattle your bones. Yes, Sinéad, we get that you can sing. Now make some music with a guitar, or organ, or percussion set.
Really, the whole Album is a showcase of vocal abilities. Deep lyrics, but no beat. Strong cries for help, but no rescue team.
Maybe that's just me. But I like music that has it all. Not just talent in vocals, but a good guitarist, and the teamwork needed to make music together. I loved being in bands, just because everybody was needed, felt important, and was just having a great time making shitty music together.


No comments:

Post a Comment