Sunday 8 June 2014

#420: Buddy Holly and the Crickets - The "Chirping" Crickets

Buddy Holly and the Crickets - The "Chirping" Crickets
November 27, 1957, Brunswick

1. "Oh, Boy!" – 2:07
2. "Not Fade Away" – 2:21
3. "You've Got Love" – 2:05
4. "Maybe Baby" – 2:01
5. "It's Too Late" – 2:22
6. "Tell Me How" – 1:58
7. "That'll Be the Day" – 2:14
8. "I'm Looking for Someone to Love" – 1:56
9. "An Empty Cup (And a Broken Date)" – 2:11
10. "Send Me Some Lovin'" – 2:33
11. "Last Night" – 1:53
12. "Rock Me My Baby" – 1:47

RESULTS
Rate: 8/10
Best Song: Rock Me My Baby
Worst Song: Maybe Baby

Comments
Heh. 420.
Buddy Holly is a pioneer of rock. Without this band, nothing that I love would have came true.
The Album is just injected with Rockabilly. I'm not crazy big on Rockabilly, but it's nothing I can't handle or hate. It just sounds a bit too...I don't know how to put it.
That being said, it is a good Album. The lyrics are golden, and the Album is cool and crisp, right to the very last song. The Backup vocals remind me of Mickey Mouse, especially in the opening song "Oh, Boy!".
Everything is nailed down, right to the vibrato in Holly's voice. They knew what they were doing, and got it down with the same amount of passion that the 50's knew and loved.
But I can see how Gary Busey pulled off Buddy Holly so well.

1 comment: