Thursday 3 April 2014

#471: Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
April 1974, Island

1. "When I Get to the Border" - 3:26
2. "The Calvary Cross" - 3:51
3. "Withered and Died" - 3:24
4. "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" - 3:07
5. "Down Where the Drunkards Roll" - 4:05
6. "We Sing Hallelujah" - 2:49
7. "Has He Got a Friend for Me" - 3:32
8. "The Little Beggar Girl" - 3:24
9. "The End of the Rainbow" - 3:55
10. "The Great Valerio" - 5:22

RESULTS
Rate: 9/10
Best Song: Withered and Died
Worst Song: We Sing Hallelujah

Comments
When I first popped the album on, "When I Get to the Border" came on, and it sounded like a slowed down version of "The Vaselines". I thought; "Meh, probably 7/10 or something". 
As the Album progressed however, I was thrust into a world of darker, deeper, and more sympathetic folk rock.
The vocals were absolutely flawless. The two voices never seemed to sing at the same time, which made the Album seem more like a Love story than an album. The instrumentals could be a little harsh at times, but for all the right reasons. It was sooo good.
The Album just got so good after. I was not expecting how much I would really appreciate the music in this.
Wish I could've heard more from this band, but, I must venture onto the next Album.
















No comments:

Post a Comment